Entering an event constitutes a positive consent. This will in almost all cases be done online via our entry forms, but also includes any data provided to us by phone, email, paper forms, or any other means of communication. This policy sets out how we collect data, what it is used for, and how we will handle it.
The legal basis for our use/processing of data under GDPR is consent: the individual has given clear consent for you to process their personal data for a specific purpose.
It is necessary for us to collect, process and temporarily store data from event participants in order for purposes set out below.
For the purpose of the GDPR Act 2018, the data protection office is Richard Pearson of 4 Orchard Brae, Kenmore Road, Aberfeldy, PH15 2BF trading as Still Going Strong Ltd
How we collect data
- Online as part of the sign-up process for each event – data is input to the system personally by each participant. Typically, this will include; Name, Address, Telephone Number, Date of Birth, Club/Team, Email Address, Emergency Contact Name & Contact Telephone Number, T-Shirt Size and optional relevant medical details.
- Paper entry forms, telephone, email and other means – similar data to above. This is manually input to the same online database as above.
- Where we are providing event timing services to a 3rd party organiser, we are supplied with some data for the purposes of programming the timing system – typically; Name, Age Group, Club/Team
What we use data for
- Creating event start lists and published results (limited data in both cases – typically Name, Age Group, Club/Team).
- Programming electronic timing systems.
- Holding ‘emergency contact’ details in case of medical/accidental emergency or related issue.
- Holding relevant medical data (freely supplied by participants on an opt-in basis) to aid response by event medical teams to incidents.
- Allocating participants to correct competition age groups.
- Communicating pre- and post- race communication.
- Communicating last minute changes to events, including cancellation.
- Sending occasional e-newsletters to previous entrants with details of upcoming events and results/write-ups of recently held events.
- Obtaining ‘headline’ anonymised data (e.g. gender, age and geographical splits) for economic impact assessments and similar.
How we handle data
- Initially data is input into our database by each participant.
- Data (in the form of a CSV spreadsheet) is downloaded to a password protected Still Going Strong Ltd file shortly before each event.
- This data is processed to produce event Start Lists and to program the electronic timing system. Printed Start Lists are produced for the purposes of sign-on/registration on the day of each event. These start lists include details of emergency contacts so they can be verified at the sign-on desk. The ‘medical info’ data is never printed, nor are email/phone contact details – these are only held electronically (password protected) by Still Going Strong Ltd and used for exceptional purposes.
- Results are produced and published online using Name, Age Group and Club/Team data.
- Email addresses are held indefinitely by Still Going Strong Ltd for the purposes of sending email newsletters from Still Going Strong only – we never pass these details to any 3rd party, with the exceptions listed below.
- All other personal details will be deleted after a maximum of 1 year from the Still Going Strong database.
- We may only disclose your personal information to third parties: In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets, if Still Going Strong Ltd or its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets, if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation.
A participant can request removal from the email (newsletter) database at any time, either by electronically unsubscribing from a newsletter, or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
It should be noted that we consider the holding and use of data to be essential for the safe running of an event. If a participant wishes to remove their data from a yet-to-be-held event, it will also be necessary to withdraw from the event. This situation will be handled as a standard withdrawal under our T&C’s and refunds will follow the methods given on the sign-up form, including any date-related deductions.
Entry Form Statement
By entering this event I agree that the data supplied by me can be used for the purposes of safely organising and managing the event, essential communications with me pre- and post-race, and for electronic event timing. This data will be held securely, and for a maximum of 1 year. Email data may be used indefinitely for the purposes of sending occasional e-newsletters by Still Going Strong Ltd.